One of the main perks of being a parent (aside from all the love and stuff) is getting a new holiday. In celebration of Mother’s Day on Sunday I thought I’d share my top 3 reasons why I love being a parent:
1. My life is ridiculous and surreal
• I get to start my day with whatever crazy thoughts are stored in a 5 year old’s brain. This morning the first words I heard as I was just waking up were, “Hey, we need that sausage ice tray!”
Let that color your day.
• I get to do what were once mundane tasks like grocery shopping accompanied by Batman.
Oh, and even though I’m dressed like a hobo and have no makeup on, I will be forced to smile and make conversation with every single person in the store as Batman attempts to “rescue” them.
• Lack of sleep causes awesome dreams when you finally get to rest. Like the one dream where I was panicking because my job was to catch cows, especially this one cow named Mrs. Miles Davis, and she kept getting away while I stopped to apply lemon flavored chapstick. When I woke up panicked Paul gently reminded me that catching cows pretty much involved saying, “hey cow” and then putting your hand on it.
• I get to say things like, “Please stop karate chopping me in the head.” There is probably no other opportunity for that outside of parenting.
2. I am a member of an exclusive club
• We have rings (dark, purplish ones below our eyes). They help the members identify each other.
• I now have an opinion on the Diego vs. Dora debate, and will vehemently defend my stance in debates with other parents. [Backpack is a chump, Rescue Pack FTW!]
Oh, and I have my own set of adults-only answers that I mutter under my breath when Dora insists on asking me questions that she clearly already knows the answers to.
• People whom you may never had had anything in common with before will now become part of your tribe as you share stories from the front-lines of parenting. “Why yes, random parent at the playground, that is a disgusting story. Here’s mine…”
3. It’s fun
• I get to play with toys, go neat places, and hang out with the fun guy at the party all day.
• I get to watch a little person grow up right in front of my eyes. I get paid in hugs, kisses, and the assurance that I am doing everything I can to make him a healthy, happy person who can one day make the world a better place.
• I get reminded that life is short and full of excitement and adventure as I see things through his eyes. Sure, no one likes their job all the time, but I have to admit, this one is a pretty sweet gig.
Happy Mother’s Day!
Latest posts by Ava Love Hanna (see all)
- Come See Haggis at FronteraFest Austin! - January 18, 2018
- Pinterest After Dark: That Time My Feed was Full of Sex Positions - November 17, 2017
- Video – Am I Willing to Punch a Peacock? - June 1, 2017